What electronics from my home can I bring to recycle?
We recycle electronics, fluorescent bulbs, and batteries.
- All computer equipment, including laptops, desktops, servers, printers, keyboard, mice, and other peripherals
- All TVs and monitors (tube type and flat screen)
- All audio/video equipment (VCR, DVD, Stereo, consoles)
- All small appliances (microwaves, coffeemakers, toasters, curling irons, hair dryers, lamps, vacuum cleaners, etc.)
- All wire and connectors
- Straight tubes (any length)
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs)
- Alkaline (all sizes)
- Rechargeable (all types)
Why do you only accept residential items at your community recycling events and not from businesses?
Colorado State law requires all businesses, organizations, and government agencies to recycle their electronics. For that reason we offer businesses different rates and pickup services. Residents are not required by law (at this time) to recycle their electronic waste, so we hold events to help residents in our community recycle this waste stream and help us create much needed jobs for people with disabilities. In addition, most of the community recycling events we hold directly support charities and non-profits in our area by sharing event proceeds and cash donations.
Why do I have to pay a recycling fee?
For two reasons:
- Blue Star Recyclers is a non-profit organization with a mission to employ people with autism and other disabilities. Recycling fees go directly toward the wages we pay to disassemble, separate, and pre-process materials so they can be used again in manufacturing of new products.
- Many items like TVs and monitors and general waste cost us to fully recycle in compliance with our environmental standards.
I want to recycle my computer at the event but I want to make sure the data on the hard disk drive is destroyed.
Blue Star Recyclers will pull out and destroy the hard disk drive (HDD) on your computer for an additional $12 per HDD. Just let us know you want your hard disk drive destroyed when you pay the recycling fees, and we will mark and separate your computer for data destruction.
I won't be able to attend the recycling event. Is there another time and place I can recycle my unwanted electronics from home?
Yes! You can bring your recyclable items to Blue Star Recyclers at 100 Talamine Court in Colorado Springs or 953 Decatur Street, Suite C in Denver. See our locations page for hours of operation.Accepted Items
Who can I call or email if my question was not answered?